At Unembeza, we take our responsibility to our community and to our environment seriously. Our commitment to conscious living extends throughout our lodge as we strive to be aware of our impact on all aspects of life in our beautiful town of Hoedspruit. We want to do good business, but we also want to do good.
Our specific commitments include:
– From the renovating of the lodge, to the stocking of our kitchens, we strive to source local goods and services and support our local community.
– We are committed to the principals of reduce, recycle, reuse and support community-driven tourism and entrepreneurial initiatives.
– We’re conscious of the amount of water we use to run our lodge and actively look for ways to offset this, including through our grey-water system.
– Our garden lights are solar-powered.
Supporting young women
“Many young girls can’t afford sanitary products and have little knowledge of their bodies’ biological processes and even less reproductive health information. Along with the other risks this poses, girls miss up to five days of school a month when they are menstruating. Providing sanitary wear gives girls greater choice and control over their bodies and is part of a broader programme to address issues of teen pregnancy, gender violence and HIV/Aids. If we reach girls early enough, we can improve their their life chances and help break the cycle of poverty.”Seeds of Light Director, Dr. Wendy Fraser.
R50 from your booking will go to Seeds of Light towards the purchase of beautiful, washable and reusable sanitary pads for girls at schools in our community. In this way, we are helping empower girls by keeping them in class and restoring their dignity.
Each sanitary pack cost only R 200 and can last a girl up to five years.
The packs include:
- 1 colorful, poly-cotton drawstring bag
- 6 washable, absorbent pads
- 3 pairs of panties
- 1 instruction sheet
- 1 resealable plastic bag
If you’d like to make an additional donation to Seeds of Light, or learn more about the organisation, visit www.seedsoflight.org. You can also use the box at reception to make a cash donation to support their invaluable work.